Tuesday, June 9, 2009

What's Up Homes? Truck Stop Royalty Edition

Yes, and my wife is an heiress.

The Jack's service station/restaurant/western wear/outdoor wear empire looms prominently in the Cullman, Alabama skyline. If you've ever traveled I-65 from Birmingham to Huntsville, then you've probably frequented the family truck stop.

My father-in-law (the grandkids call him "Pa-Paw") lives way out in the boonies in a majestic place on Smith Lake.











Oh yes, it's haunted too. The Savannahesque statue guards 17 graves in the front yard. My wife reports all sorts of strange happenings from her childhood, including a sleepwalking chase which involved tearing out a window screen...Just another piece of the puzzle I guess.

The owner is a stickler for decor in all five bedrooms on three levels.










It makes me think I might have jumped to conclusions about life in Alabama and the truck stop business. Maybe I ought to tear up that screenplay.

No comments:

Post a Comment