If you know Fran, he’s the typical coach. He doesn’t appreciate the subtleties of the unique college town eateries. He’s a creature of habit and gave BACKTIME his definitive go-to restaurant “Fran”chise list.
1) McAlister’s – You can find this gourmet sandwich chain in practically every Big 12 city. Fran gets “The Patriot” (turkey, lettuce, and cranberry) each time. I’ve been there. He’d eat 365 of them a year if he could.
2) Panera Bread – Pumpkin muffin for breakfast. Morning routine. Keeps him regular.
3) Outback – Fran’s idea of fine dining: 7 oz filet with garlic mash.
4) Cracker Barrel – “Saturday is chicken & rice day” as Fran rubs his hands together in anticipation.
5) Applebee’s – The only place to eat in Norman after a night game. Unfortunately, what you eat in Norman doesn’t necessarily stay in Norman.
Sixth Man award to Bob Evans – You need that Big Boy coming off the bench with a hearty breakfast once in a while.
I picture Todd Blackledge reading this and his bus tumbling off the side of the road.