Saturday, May 4, 2013

US Air Venting


I fly Delta about 95% of the time. I have status and I'm generally satisfied with both their operations and their customer service. But every once in a while I take US Airways. Sometimes it's the only way I can get home on a Saturday night after a game. Sometimes I don't feel like driving from Savannah to Charlotte, and sometimes the connection schedule is nice and tight and it makes the most sense. Like today.

I used to frequent USAir quite a bit back when LaGuardia was my home airport and Pittsburgh was a hub. But that was a long time ago, before they started charging $45 for the exit row, and $3 for a blanket.

Today, I almost missed the 12:50 PM flight out of Savannah because of an unprecedented line at security, so I was huffing and puffing when I was one of the last ones on the plane. But exhaling was not an option. The idle jet was about as hot as the Savannah Power Yoga studio, so US "Air" was in fact a misnomer.

When I asked the flight attendant if they could do anything about the heat, she said that they couldn't turn on the air because they had to save fuel. I have no idea if that's even true, but it does appear to be consistent with their miserly ways. There's even a Facebook page titled "US Airways Sucks."

The flight from Charlotte to Knoxville wasn't as hot, but it was just as stale - they wouldn't give us any air either. The flight attendant told me that she was sorry but she "can't address it with the pilot." To make matters worse there were a couple of crying babies with loaded diapers, and some choppy stormy conditions. I haven't lost my lunch on a plane in 22 years, but today was close.

Fortunately when I landed in Knoxville, I stepped outside and purified myself in the cold, rainy air. Then I got to the rental car lot and grabbed an Infiniti G37. Sweet ride! I just might drive home.

No comments:

Post a Comment